HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW
A Maine Historical Society Website

Visit MaineHistory.com
 

The Elms - Stephen Longfellow's Gorham Farm

Item 9 of 22


View options: slideshow view | list view

Longfellow School

Item 15958  info
Longfellow School / Maine Historical Society

Longfellow School was a one-room rural school built in 1897 to replace a dilapidated schoolhouse at the turn of the road. It remained as a school until 1951. Miss Grace Lillian Gordon was the teacher there for many years. In 1951 the building was sold to the AMVETS organization for a meetinghouse. In turn, the AMVETS sold the building which was then converted into a private family residence. In 1965 the former Longfellow School burned to the ground.

 

Item 9 of 22